Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I’m not projecting on Homer here, so I don’t know what I’m really doing...

HOMER,
OR,
I’m not projecting on Homer here, so I don’t know what I’m really doing


"Homer, aren't you done with your epics yet?"

"Well maybe if somebody would invent paper I wouldn't to do it all in my head!"

"We gave you listening boys--"

"Because when I'm composing, what I really need is brats rolling their eyes at my epic meter!"

"How can you tell? I thought you were blind."

"You don't know because nothing has been recorded about me! I only gave you the foundation of European literature."

"Bitter, old--"

"Is it recorded that I'm deaf now? Get out and don't come back until you've developed something more durable than parchment. I want this stuff written down, but I'll feed myself to the dogs before I let it get lost in a library fire."

"We don't have dogs in our--"

"Do I have to invent the fucking metaphor around here? It was hyperbole! Get out!"

When it sounded like the intermediary had left, Homer sat down in the cool shade and rubbed his temples. When was someone going to invent coffee?

He began again, "Muse, sing to me of..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter est. March 2, 2008