Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Emergency: Liver Donor Needed for Teen Boy




This is my youngest cousin, Will Corcoran. He’s the only son to Jodi and Bean Corcoran, and brother to three loving sisters.  Will was born with cystic fibrosis, a genetic disorder that attacks almost every facet of the human body. He’s no longer strong enough to go to school, he's routinely rushed to the hospital for infections his body can't fight, he's endured every kind of invasive test medical science has to offer, and yet he and his family have kept fighting. This kid has endured outrageous pain and disability in his life, and now if we don’t help him, he won’t live.

Recently we found out that Will’s liver is failing. The cystic fibrosis is destroying it, and he needs a transplant to live. A healthy person’s liver will repair and re-grow itself; one donates only a portion of his or her liver and lets it regenerate. Will's body simply can't regenerate the tissue anymore and needs your immune system’s help.

Will’s blood type is A, and so he requires either an A or O-donor. I don’t match and my health is too poor to donate living organs, but I can at least open this up to the people I know.

Will's family is asking for donors who have strong health insurance just in case. I'm told the healing process for a donor is typically two months. Bean has told us, "in a nut shell my insurance pays for the entire surgery all blood work and some traveling expenses depending on how far away the donor lives. There should be very little, if any out of pocket expenses."

Will lives in Connecticut. I’m certain his parents will help you travel for the procedure if necessary. If you or anyone you know can help this boy live past his teens, please message me here, by Twitter, by Facebook or e-mail. I will put you in contact with the surgery team and Bean Corcoran.

Any responses and any continued forwarding of this message is extremely appreciated.

26 comments:

  1. How could someone find out if they're a match? I'm type O and have some time this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending you a private message, Lillie. Thank you so much for asking.

      Delete
  2. I'm an a+... Is that any help? Tweet me @itsedhelm please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tweeted at you. Thanks Ed! Hope to get into contact soon.

      Delete
  3. While I live in Canada, I am blood type O and willing to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Do you have a method you'd prefer being contacted through? Next steps would be contacting Bean and the hospital team, and eventually a tissue test.

      Delete
  4. I believe I'm Type A and I know Carlos is Type O. Message me on how to find out if we're a match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E-mailed. Thank you so much, Danni.

      And please don't let a response dissuade anyone else from stepping forward. The matching process can be tricky and needs as many applicants as possible to find a viable donor.

      Delete
  5. I'm Type O+ and live in NYC. You can contact me at zoey.howe (at) gmail (dot) com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zoey! I will be in touch this morning.

      Delete
  6. I have no idea what my blood type is, but I think I live too far away and I don't think my immune system would handle it.
    I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of offers and interest you have recieved so far. It's heartening to learn there is still compassion in humanity, especially after the abuse I'm still getting on my blog. I'd begun to think nobody cared about anyone else.
    The above responses actually brought a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been a wonderful response to the campaign so far. Your well-wishes and efforts to perpetuate the message out in social networks has been deeply appreciated, Judge. And I'm sorry, again, for the jerks on your blog.

      Delete
  7. I am type A, and live in NY. You can contact me at hannah.m.fish (at) gmail (dot) com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Hannah. Hope the e-mail has arrived.

      Delete
  8. I'm not healthy enough to donate (and I'm Type B,) but I have hope that you will find someone who can give this young man the chance he needs.

    Go Team Will!

    (Came here from John Darnielle's Twitter account @mountain_goats.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the well-wishes, Keith. Any spreading of the message you do can help.

      Delete
  9. Hi--

    I'm type A+ and live in the Boston area. You can send info to zubkoff [at] gmail [dot] com. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in MA near Woonsocket, RI and I'm type O+, so is my husband, let me know how to find out if either of us is a match, dianaharty [at] gmail [dot] com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being that close to Connecticut is huge plus. Thank you and your husband so much for reaching out. I've sent an e-mail, please let me know when you get it.

      Delete
  11. I'm A-. I'm in Portland, OR for the summer but could travel with help! Get in touch and I'll get tested. l nor ment at gmail sans spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband and I are A- and A+ respectively, but we unfortunately just moved from New York to the other side of the country. I will definitely pass this back to our contacts on the East Coast. I wish we would be able to travel the distance, but I hope and pray you find the person you're meant to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That is exactly what Bean would ask - if we simply pass it on and make folks aware, there's a better chance of finding donors who might be a match. Both of your well-wishes and efforts and deeply appreciated.

      Also want to note that I'll be doing an update on this drive on Sunday.

      Delete
  13. I just sent the family an email at beancorcoran.cff@gmail.com as I grew up in Weston and moving back this summer and an O bloodtype.

    Holger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reaching out, Holger. Please let us know how the contact develops.

      Delete

Counter est. March 2, 2008