Monday, March 25, 2013

A-to-Z Challenge?

So I'm considering joining to the A-to-Z Challenge this year. Every April this group of bloggers attempts to post every day, corresponding with a letter of the alphabet, and hop around to see each others' progress. While I've been posting daily for years, I've never done an entire month on one theme.



Themes are arbitrary to the challenge, beyond the obvious one of the alphabet. My friend Beverly Fox is going to try blogging about photographs. I've heard someone is going to do dinosaurs, which will at least garner my daily traffic. I want that challenge for the same reason I tried to serialize The Only Thing Worse is the Cure: I don't know how, and I'd like to learn.

The only theme I'm craving, though, is worldbuilding, and particularly exploring the world of my novels. I'm waiting for betas to get back to me and haven't undertaken another huge task yet. So I figure I'll ask you, generous readers: would an April about the A,B,C's of The House That Nobody Built and Last House in the Sky interest you? Getting to know the history of its disasters, its populations of hungry robots and sauropods? Visit not only civilization, but the wilds of The Frontier and The Uncanny Valley? Maintaining that, whatever letters fell on Fridays, would simply force me to write flash fiction for those bits of my world.

I already know that 'A' is for "Apocalypses."

11 comments:

  1. Yes, yes John! Do it! Write like the wind! Tell us all about your post-post-post-post-post-post-post-(is that enough posts yet?)apocalypse world where misfits roam and super prisons loom large and strange cultures have archaic rules for how to eat a ham sandwich(?). I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that I’m not the only one who be ever-so-eager to read all about this crazy world you’ve created. Go for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is as enthusiastic a first response as I ever could have hoped for. Thank you, Bev! And based on these responses and those on Twitter, I guess I'll give it a shot all April.

      Delete
  2. I don't feel I can top Beverly's comment, so I'll just say, yes, do it and we'll read with pleasure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a great idea, hope you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like an interesting challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much like that famous telegram exchange between Hugo and his publisher about sales of (and hence the popularity of) Les Misérables:

    John: ?
    All of us: !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for blogging about this - sounds tempting! will think about it, and meanwhile, blog about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi John, I’m stopping by to introduce myself and wish you luck with the A-Z Blog Challenge. I’ll mostly be exploring CHANGE and SENSORY AWARENESS and how to implement these concepts in storytelling. I hope to see you around My Rite of Passage. Good luck -Belinda.

    ReplyDelete

Counter est. March 2, 2008