Thursday, April 18, 2013

‘P’ is for ‘People.’



The menu.
P’ is for ‘People.’ The singular is ‘Person.’ Succubae think you’re not one.

Succubae are one of those creatures most people didn’t think existed for many ages. They claim to have existed since the dinosaurs died out the first time, and bear a strong dislike for their egg-based fetishes. They’re a difficult creature to reconcile with our materialistic notion of life, since they’re not from this plane of existence, and largely take physical bodies to play with their food.

To themselves, they are people. They have souls, minds, wills, personalities. Things that evolved don’t. Things that evolved, including triclopes and humans, are chemical soup in attractive packaging. You’re shaped like a person in the way that a chicken nugget might be shaped like an egg. They hate eggs.

What exactly disqualifies all intelligent life from being people is hazy. You might imagine that an entity that had to eat other sentient entities to survive might insist those entities weren’t people in order to assuage guilt. Succubae claim to never experience guilt. Guilt is a chemical thing.

22 comments:

  1. Wow, very interesting post. I had not considered succubae in this light

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating and makes you wonder about the definition of people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that is a wonderful explanation about succubae's nature and explains a great deal.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope to never meet one, then!

    Why don't they like eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much the same logic pervades plenty of defined social/ethnic/racial groups in our own world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am chemical soup. Well, I suppose I am. Can I trade in my packaging? The present one I own is somewhat wrinkled.

    Laura Eno – A Shift in Dimensions

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Tony, this is a great parallel for prejudice among our own species. It's easier to exterminate or enslave those that "aren't people."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I hear we're delicious when you stop thinking of us as people, too. Something about chicken.

      Delete
  8. Fascinating post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a deliciously warped mind, Mr Wiswell. :) I love your use of a known entity in a totally different manner to put forward your philosophies - or at least that's what I get from this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to admit it was a bit surprising to pop over here and see a picture of People magazine. Then I saw the caption and giggle-snorted. I also love the way you slip in huge details about the world in simple ways like: "since the dinosaurs died out the first time."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to surprise! I'm still trying to mess with my norms around here, especially in humorous ways. It's definitely the first PEOPLE cover to show up around here.

      Delete
  11. Excellent post! Lol! I am so aware of my chemical soupiness, I just wish my brain would gel a little bit more. There seems to be more and more soup seeping out each year. Jennifer a.k.a Urban Gypsy Girl

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this. I knew there HAD to be something up with those creepy celebrities.

    ReplyDelete
  13. At first, I thought you were going to cast Chace Crawford as a character in your world.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shell Flower and I beg to differ! :)

    jean xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry, where you saying something? I was looking at Chase Crawford. Does that define me as not a person? lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I could be a succubae, my conscience wouldn't allow it. The feelings of remorse would be to great from having committed crimes against moral law.

    ReplyDelete
  17. People Mag. Nope, nada... not going there. Haven't bought it in years. If I wanted to find out about people I'd hit Twitter or Facebook for my reading. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete

Counter est. March 2, 2008