Friday, April 4, 2014

The Nigh-Infinite Serpent - #fridayflash

It’s hard to believe we ever wanted to kill the Nigh-Infinite Serpent. I mean, I don’t know how you do that, and neither did the Ancients, since every bomb they invented never even sloughed its old skins. But I’ve got fat books full of stories of great knights and cyclopes who braved the mountains of the world trying to kill the Nigh-Infinite Serpent. Their bravery made for great tragedies, even if these days they only get adapted as comedies.

You have to be very brave to fight something that can and frequently does encircle the continent. Every Winter the nights get longer, not because we’re tilting from the sun, but because it’s shifting in the sky trying to warm up. You might as well try to arm wrestle an earthquake. Also, fighting it caused a lot of earthquakes, which is why the Moderns outlawed fighting it.

There was this one whole crusade that climbed up to the Nigh-Infinite Serpent’s mouth, using a combination of apatosauruses and gryphons for travel, just to die bravely and go to Ten Heavens. This was in the second dynasty of the Moderns, who dispatched one thousand runners to chase them and hand of the writs of cease-and-desist. It was bound to be an epic, and an epic against the serpent would probably wreck the entire continent for us.

So the crusade had to turn around, because if they broke the law then their dead souls would never get into Ten Heavens. Except they were so high up that they had to march down the Nigh-Infinite Serpent’s spine – there was no easier way. And marching around up there, the crusaders found there really was no more convenient way to get anywhere on the continent than by walking on the serpent. It was lying about so much of the world that some of them even visited islands cartographers had deemed lost and mythical by hopping off its tail.

You can tell which regions were the first to bribe the Nigh-Infinite Serpent into playing highway because they’re still rich as cake today. Ornithologists were conscribed to trick flocks of rocs and gryphons into straying past the Nigh-Infinite Serpent’s mouth, giving it ample sustenance, and for every load it would contort its amazing body, a length becoming a new bridge or tunnel, sometimes running two or three highways on top of each other if the bribe was plentiful enough. When the Moderns factored in the reduction in wars with nature and no longer needing to construct or pave highways, they considered bribing the beast to be an exceptional savings.

Nowadays it actually gets angry if people aren’t traveling on its hide, which is why it attacks so many aircrafts. The best we can tell is it’s used to all the traffic as a sort of back massage. I work in automobile manufacturing, so I don’t mind the anti-aircraft strikes, but the delays on the highway are miserable whenever the beast sheds.

24 comments:

  1. I suspect a trip through your mind is as least as convoluted as the nigh infinite serpent - and I am grateful for the sneak peaks you give us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This does come more naturally to me than is healthy. It's true.

      Delete
  2. I laughed at the "back massage" air traffic. I can imagine the terrible road delays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first idea upon envisioning the serpent as a highway. I'm glad it landed!

      Delete
  3. That was incredibly creative! Wouldn't want to be in the airline industry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shedding would really be a traffic nightmare. I definitely got some cool imagery in my head reading this. Great flash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, if I ever visit this world, I know NOT to travel by air! Very clever… if you can't beat the serpent, get it to help you out, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic fantasy John with terrific imagery!

    You must read The Great Circle by Henry S. Whitehead. In fact, the whole anthology, Voodoo Tales - The Great Stories of Henry S. Whitehead, is super, and it's packed and only about $3 for the Kindle version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is Whitehead's work akin to this, or is it just something that's been exciting you lately?

      Delete
    2. Well both actually. This story reminds me a lot of The Great Circle (but I don't want to give it away). I discovered Whitehead when I read The Big Book of Ghost Stories, an excellent, and truly Big book of the greatest supernatural stories ever. I bought Whitehead's anthology at least a month ago and still have 1/4 to go, and I'm a fast reader. I highly suggest it to anyone studying how to create suspense, and characters.

      Delete
  7. human beings finally discover that symbiosis is better than trying to eradicate a fellow creature. Suitably mythic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always appreciated the bacteria in my intestines. They're team players.

      Delete
  8. I wonder if this magnificent creature will eventually be covered in traffic lights, roundabouts, and cone-surrounded pot holes? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL A fine use of the creature. Also, back massage-so funny!

    Also, here, "great nights" - did you mean to write great knights?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for catching the typo, Sonia. Though I guess sentient nights coming after you are also plausible in this world, I did indeed mean crusading knights.

      Delete
  10. This was such a fun and great piece of fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think if its spread all over the world, the best thing is not to upset it. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just suffered through some of those delays, drawn out as the DOT fed the beast more rocks. Interesting piece here, John. Highly imaginative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the depiction, but the acceptance of the beast made me sad. Surely those islands would have been even easier to re-discover without the serpent in the way, and the idea that a stroke of a pen in a legislature can bar someone from heaven is terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is just out there...I had to reach up and close my mouth at the end of it. Where do you get these ideas? Heh, nevermind—I think I know...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is that where the missing airliner went then?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how your mind works, John.

    ReplyDelete

Counter est. March 2, 2008