Friday, March 18, 2016

Crediting the Idea Factory

Last night I was doubting my imagination. I'd just finished a new short story, which was the conclusion of a premise I came up with fifteen years ago. My last three short stories were ideas I'd had for decades. Weary from pain, I worried the only ideas I had left these days were the creations of my younger self.

In my malaise, I started backing up my computer so I could rebuild it this weekend. My writing folder was full of unfinished drafts that I had to open to recognize. They were tens of thousands of words of plots, many I'd created in the last couple months but had been so busy I'd forgotten I'd written.

The idea factory was still open. It just wasn't getting credit.

 


3 comments:

  1. I've had that feeling too. The worry that I'm out of ideas. Then a new one hits and I can breath easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fatigue and pain are both soul-suckers. And skilled liars.
    I am glad you were able to find the reality of your constantly creative self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get the best ideas when I'm on my treadmill...but if I don't write them down, they're gone. I need a notepad and pen...but I don't know if I could write and walk at the same time!

    ReplyDelete

Counter est. March 2, 2008