Friday, March 19, 2021

"Open House on Haunted Hill" is a Nebula and Locus Awards Finalist!

"Open House on Haunted Hill" is one of my favorite short stories that I've ever written. It follows a haunted house that has been lonely for years and just wants someone to live in it. It won't harm you. It won't trap you. It wants to keep you warm and safe as your family grows. But can anyone get over its creepy vibe and stay?

It turns out that the world likes this story, too. This week it was announced that it will appear in Paula Guran's Years Best Dark Fantasy & Horror. This handsome collection will be out from Pyr books later this year, and includes works the likes of Caitlin Kiernan, Kelley Armstrong, and Victor LaValle.

The story is also now a finalist for two major industry awards.

On Monday night, the Science Fiction Writers Association announced "Open House on Haunted Hill" is a finalist for the Nebula Award for Best Short Story. It is in the top six candidates, and will be voted on by members of the association. The winner will be announced later this year.

Earlier, Locus Magazine placed "Open House on Haunted Hill" on their 2020 Recommended Reading List, making it a finalist for the Locus Award for Best Short Story. This award has open voting for anyone who signs up at Locus's site. If you've enjoyed the story, I'd be grateful if you'd give it a vote.

All these accolades are humbling. It's wonderful to see my stories touching so many people - every week I get tweets from new people who've just read it and want to thank me. My best way of showing my gratitude is to write you all many more stories. I'm working at it every day.

Thanks for sending me over the moon, everybody. It's a thrilling time!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That will do a lot to win or place with those awards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUGE congratulations. Add me to those who loved this story - which stayed in my head and heart long after I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Open House" is a really great story. This is the second short story of yours I have read and enjoyed. Which means that now I get the joy of going and finding all your short stories.

    Congratulations on being nominate for the Nebula! That is just so exciting for you, and for your fans, which I count myself as one of now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad to meet you, and I'm so glad you enjoyed the story. If you'd like more, most of the links in my Bibliography section are to free-to-read versions.

      Delete

Counter est. March 2, 2008