Sunday, June 12, 2022

New Fiction: "The Coward Who Stole God's Name" at Uncanny Magazine

Today I'm happy to present to you my newest short story: "The Coward Who Stole God's Name." 

It's a story about the most popular man in the world - even though nobody can actually remember why they like him. He's summoned one special journalist to his home to reveal his secret.

But a warning: that secret will get inside your head.

It's a story written out of the many cultural betrayals we've had over the years, and out of the cultural struggles with authority failing us, as well as the tides of toxic fandom. There's quite a stew in this little journalist's journey. I hope you'll enjoy it.

I want to give special thanks to Merc Fenn Wolfmoor, who test read this after I wrote it in a white heat of anger. Merc is such a good influence.

Content warnings: psychological manipulation, contemplation of self-harm, contemplation of animal cruelty, and violent crowds.

Patrons may remember they got a sneak peak at this story a while back.
Now the full text is free to read on Uncanny's website. You can read it by clicking right here.

5 comments:

  1. Oh John. This is most definitely going to stay with. Thank you. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checking in. I haven't seen you or your posts for a little while. I do hope you are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying again. I think my first comment went to spam. Are you ok John? I haven't seen your around the blogosphere for a bit and miss your comments and your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings EC! I've had limited internet lately. It looks like my RSS broke as well, so I didn't see your recent blog posts. Sorry to cause you to worry!

      Delete

Counter est. March 2, 2008