Monday, September 17, 2012

Bathroom Monologue: Grandpa Defends Tolkien



“He should have just sent the eagles,” I said, making the greatest mistake of my week.

“Oh, you like the giant birds?” asked Grandpa. “I’m sure they would have been inconspicuous flying over several hundred miles of terrain that’s populated solely by armies, flying reptiles and the ghost of The Devil. That couldn’t go wrong.”

“Just fly straight to Mount Doom.”

“Because they wouldn’t look there?”

“They weren’t looking for the hobbits there!”

“Because they’re not twenty feet wide and flying overhead!”

“Then send the army.”

“Which is distinctly smaller than Sauron’s and lacks the home field.”

“They went anyway!”

“And they only won because the little boys destroyed the ring.”

“They could still go and distract him while the eagles fly over.”

“Again, giant birds fleeing battle to dive into one of his most sensitive locales would draw attention. Here.” At this point Grandpa made a circle with his index finger and thumb. He held it midway between him and his grandson. His left hand balled into a fist and loomed like a cobra preparing to strike over his head. “Try dropping anything into this hole while I use this hand to punch you in the face.”

“Grandpa!” He pushed all the way to the back of his bunk. “I didn’t know you took Lord of the Rings so seriously.”

“I don’t. Fantasy is for nancies. But Tolkien and I both served in the European theatre, and I’m not going to let people badmouth his work just because they like birds.”

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic as usual John! Excellent piece for Tolkien Week. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yay for John as well. And sadly, likes and dislikes are often based on nothing more rational than Grandpa's support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there John -- I thought this was great. Reminded me of the Eagles argument, with an : 'oh, yeah... that is kind of a flaw...'.

    And I loved “I don’t. Fantasy is for nancies. But Tolkien and I both served in the European theatre, and I’m not going to let people badmouth his work just because they like birds.” Which really ties together the story and the old man's attitude with an interesting piece of Tolkein lore.

    St.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is neat, intelligent and charming too. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahahaha! Love it!

    Grandpa was most logical too.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete

Counter est. March 2, 2008