Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bathroom Monologue: When I was a kid, I thought Gandalf was Merlin on vacation from England

When I was a kid, I thought Gandalf was Merlin on vacation from England
As soon as the last grail meeting ended, Merlin slipped out the door and lit a cigarette.
One of the squires came over.

“Good boy. Is my horse ready?”

“Yes, sir. But are you certain you should go now? Their crusade could begin any month.”

“Listen, that hobbit isn’t going to pull this off by himself and Arthur knows what he’s doing. I’ve got two weeks vacation from Camelot and if anyone gets suspicious I’ll blame it on Morgana. You can blame anything on the old bitch. Two weeks is all I need to ride to Rivendell, from there around the cliffs and I make the necessary cameo to inspire and point him in the right direction again. I swear, if I didn’t show up regularly they’d wander into Las Vegas before they hit the Misty Mountains.”

He combed his beard with his fingers, changed his pointy blue hat for one with a rim and swapped his staff for that sword the elves dropped. Then he turned back to the squire.

“How do I look?”

“Exactly the same, sir.”

“Good, good. If Hogwartz calls again tell them I’m not playing phone tag anymore. If they want me to be head wizard, I want time and a half plus a pension that doesn’t rely on disgusting jellybeans. Playing two roles is hard enough.”

Then the wizard hustled to the stables, mumbling something about how having to make so many dramatic appearances had turned his hair white.

3 comments:

  1. “How do I look?”

    “Exactly the same, sir.”

    ^ That got me to (literally) laugh out loud. Delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...a pension that doesn’t rely on disgusting jellybeans"...

    *howls with laughter*

    Would you believe, I've heard the Gandalf-Dumbledore comparison before, but never a Gandalf-Merlin one? Very, very funny.

    ReplyDelete

Counter est. March 2, 2008