Monday, November 12, 2012

Bathroom Monologue: The Godzilla Moment at Niagara Falls

Earlier this year I visited Niagara Falls for the first time. My phone was busted and ate the photos I took, but I kept a monologue from my visit to the base of the falls. I'm still not sure why I like exposing these thoughts. It'd probably be better if I didn't.




This is what I came for. From above it looked like any waterfall, just bigger, more gallons-of-water per square-national-treasure. Up there it seemed the factual mass existed, but not the spiritual.

Below, the grandeur sets in. It sets in so deep that I realize “grandeur” is Shakespearian for “bigness.” From below, Niagara Falls possesses considerable bigness.

Peering up through its perpetual mist, at how its spill dwarfs all neighboring staircases and hills, and yet all remains in motion. A fall from its lip possessed mortality. This, I thought, was how those peasants must have felt when Godzilla first loomed over the mountain. Yes, the spirit of kaiju filled my heart at Niagara.

Perhaps my experience was even better than Godzilla’s witnesses.

After all, I was real.

I also wasn’t eaten.


3 comments:

  1. When I saw your tweet, I expected this to be about Godzilla riding a barrel over the falls or something. This was better than what I'd imagined! (Not that such was difficult or anything, mind you.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a good day when you can get through it without being eaten :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not being eaten is always a bonus. I haven't seen Niagra, but Igazu falls in Argentina left me feeling deaf and dwarfed. And in awe of the beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Counter est. March 2, 2008