Sunday, August 26, 2012

Notice: Newsroom Monologues Coming


Tonight is the season finale of HBO's The Newsroom. It's been a provocative show for many people, myself included, and we're going to play with some of what it's provoked. 


On Monday and Tuesday I’m going to run two related and contradictory Bathroom Monologues reflecting based on the series's seminal event. Will McAvoy’s inciting monologue went viral both in his fictional world and in our real one, and it’s stuck with me all season. It’s inspiring to sick-and-tired idealists, while also uniquely troubling with its rosy view of American history. You don’t need a feminist to tell you why the ethos, “we acted like men” is worrisome.

So on Monday we’ll see a monologue attacking Will McAvoy’s rant, and on Tuesday we’ll see a monologue supporting it, though maybe not for the reasons you’d immediately expect. If you like, record an audio or video performance of either monologue and link them in the Comments. It would be fun to do a mega-post of your performed debates.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I am really looking forward to these posts. This is not a rant I had heard (probably unsurprisingly) and I agreed, worried and was horrified by turn. Thank you for posting the link, and as I said I am looking forward to your monologues. Will I agree with either? Just at the moment no.

    ReplyDelete

Counter est. March 2, 2008