Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence Day and Helping Those in Need

Monday was Canada Day. Today is Independence Day in the United States. It's been a week of celebrations, but also great hardships. The west coast is seeing horrible heat and fires. Here in New York there has been some ugly flooding; one woman nearby was swept away in her mobile and drowned. Many lucky survivors have still lost their homes.

Yesterday, for no discernible reason, I started gathering food in a box that my family wasn't using. I do this every few months; I started while I was on the phone checking up on my grandmother, picking things up with my spare hand. I gathered pasta and cans of ravioli my family lost the taste for, bottles of cranberry juice leftover from holidays, canned peaches nobody wound up eating. The items that linger in too many households that don't realize how well they're doing. Maybe I did this because I wasn't always this privileged. But before I ran out for errands, I called the local library, which forwarded me to the Methodist church on the corner of so-and-such. The librarian then pulled me back onto the line to talk about how, when her son had lived in Alaska, his local food pantry had saved his life.

It took me two minutes out of my way in-between errands to hit the church. I drove around back, spying two men who were patching the rear wall. The weather had hit here, too, I presumed. They looked nervous when I asked if this was the food pantry. When I pulled out the box, one of them ran over to hold the door for me. I followed me inside, asking if this was from the church at the next county over. It'd been a while since I'd seen someone's eyes bulge. His did when I told them this was just from my family.

The way he ogled my box suggested he was probably going to rely on some of that tonight. He shook my hand three times, and we exchanged names. He wanted the head of the pantry to call and thank me. We stood by the road for a while, talking about camping sites and the local flooding. He was a charming man, only confused as to where I'd come from.

There were times when I desperately needed the capricious kindness of strangers. If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you've probably read enough about that. It's left me a little more willing to stump for people in need, be they shooting victims or just a girl who desperately deserves a break.

When I was a child, imagining the homeless scared me so much that I tried to imagine they didn't exist. I now suspect that's a blindness most people invest in. I'm not passing judgment about this because judging someone's irrational hang-ups is both cruel and futile. I don't believe most people need to be shamed on something like this. For most, I think looking it in the face will do.

I appreciate that some people don't trust the Red Cross or disagree with the homophobia in the Salvation Army, but when I see a post like "The Ten Worst Charities in America," I get physically ill. It starts to look too much like people covering their own myopia and greed in a simplified solution of arbitrary distrust. If you don't like the Red Cross or Salvation Army, that's fine, but it's no excuse to ignore every food pantry, every blood drive, every soup kitchen and disaster relief org and IndieGogo for a needy cause.

I don't like to proselytize on here often, and I'll shut up in three sentences. Just, please, if you don't do anything, look your reasons in the face. And if you have no reason, that's a perfectly good reason to help a little.

Thanks for reading, enjoy the fireworks tonight, and for the love of God, appreciate what you have.

7 comments:

  1. Brilliant. And this is something I could/should do here.
    I give money when I can - to selected charities and in times of disaster. I also try and help out by working on a telephone crisis line and providing peer support to other people with MS. But there is always more. More need, and more I could do.
    And I love this suggestion - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is also always more need than any singular person can accommodate. It sounds like you already do some wonderful things. What more are you considering? My personal fear is that if I do too much I'll again become someone who entirely relies off of others. Perhaps petty of me?

      Delete
    2. Not petty at all. I spend so much time alone in my head (my choice) that I don't think I rely to much on others. Something to think about though. Thanks. And your suggestion about the excess foodstuffs hit a nerve. I have been very poor and remember how much it would have helped. Food and toiletries...

      Delete
  2. The most fun I ever had helping people out was buying a sock pattern for charity after Hurricane Sandy. A woman whose house was in the storm (although all she got was a flooded basement) sold a pattern for socks that looked like sharks eating your feet, with the proceeds going to Sandy relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds both hilarious and inspired. Double endorsement on this.

      Delete
  3. You have a big heart. I have a giving nature and sometimes wish I could do more. There are many organizations out there, as well as things one can do individually. I hope most people don't close themselves off because of the charity scandals they've heard about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to contribute at least a little to others every week, even if it's just time donated to counseling or helping friends through hard times. It's so sad when people close themselves off from helping others.

      Delete

Counter est. March 2, 2008