Thursday, October 1, 2009

Bathroom Monologue: Got to read to…

"You memorized the spells so you wouldn't have to carry around the book. Thought it would look cool to do it no-hands style, impress some girls. I did that when I was your age, too. So did all the boys in my class. I'm the only one alive now, though. Funny how it works. Or, funny how it doesn't. You see, spells don't work without the book. It's more than the mere words uttered. It’s about a pact expressed with the man and the world, his tongue and his book. The words are a bridge between the truth that is written and the will that is voiced. You can know the incantation for raising an undead army backwards and forwards, but if you don't have the script, you're liable to become another body in that army. It was a nice idea, punk. Nice idea for you, much as it was a nice idea for me when I was your age. I've smartened up since then, so that when I show up to a duel without my book, I carry a revolver. Like this one. Care to read its inscription before I cast the trigger's spell?"

1 comment:

Counter est. March 2, 2008